Saturday, June 14, 2008

Prison, BBQ and water

I just noticed I have not posted since Tuesday. It has been a busy week and a'lot has been accomplished.

On Wednesday we traveled to San Fran and spent the latter half of the day touring the city and down at the Fisherman's Wharf. We then went to Oakland and watched the A's handle the Yankees. Kirkland was not happy that his rally cap did not pull the boys from New York through in the end. It was a good day as we spent some quality time with the family and the team all in one day. I know everyone enjoyed the tour and the game. By the way, Oakland fans have to run a close second to Yankee fans, very boisterous at best!

After a long day on Wednesday we got back to some discipleship on Thursday morning and then an afternoon practice.

On Friday we traveled to San Jose and played a DH with the Maxim Yankees. They are a summer collegiate team comprised of mainly west coast baseball players. We did not give a good performance and dropped both games. The losses brought our record to 3-2 on the California trip. You could tell the guys were tired, it was even evident in the morning discipleship. We are learning very quickly how tiring the summer will be at times. No matter how much rest you get, it's still not like sleeping in your own bed. I know by the end of the summer we will all be ready for a break.

Today was a life changing day. Ever had one of those? You know, the kind of day that makes you sit back and wonder what your purpose in life is. The kind of day that makes you ponder if you are doing what you want to do or what God wants you to do.

The day started off at 5:30am and then off to my van route and picking up the guys for our 7:00am departure to Soledad Prison. It was going to be a day to remember.

We arrived at Soledad shortly after 8:00am, unloaded and then presented our id's at the front gate. We then took off our belts and shoes, stepped through a metal detector and through a gate that separated us from freedom. Hearing the gates lock behind us and looking in the eyes of the players is something I will never forget.

We were there to play two softball games and mingle through the crowd handing out and discussing the brochures we give to other teams.

We entered the "yard" fully dressed in our uniforms and greeted right off with a row of inmates laughing, cheering, jeering and some generally trying to scare us to death. I think their planned worked for the first few minutes.

As we made our way to the "field" we were greeted by what seemed like a sea of prisoners. They were all over the place. Some were working out in the makeshift "weight room", others were playing basketball, running, sitting in groups and then there was the "crowd". The crowd was made up of a mixture of inmates. Some were pulling for us and others against us. I don't know an exact amount, but a very conservative figure would be roughly around 250-300 inmates around us at all times.

Soledad houses numerous inmates from lifers to those that will be getting out in a year or less. We were in a "yard" that housed most of the guys getting ready to leave within the year.

As the game started I looked over to the thirdbase coaches box and realized that I had to go over and stand there in front of their dugout as we hit. As I ran across the infield to the coaches box I was looking for the guards that would be standing near me. The closer I got the more I realized that the guards would not be around me and that I would be standing within five feet of men that only knew one way of life, the Soledad version. It was a long first inning, very long.

As the game and day progressed I noticed a change in me and the guys. We were not all huddled together anymore and we were not walking around looking over our shoulder. We were slowly being accepted, welcomed and even invited into their world.

As the first game ended and we started the second game I had the chance to walk around the "yard" and meet with some of the men. I grabbed some brochures and took off, having no idea where I would stop and initiate the first conversation.

I walked behind the homeplate backstop and shook some hands and signed some brochures. It was amazing how many of the men wanted us to sign the brochures where our photos are so they could send to their kids and/or keep in their lockers. It was like we were back in the elementary schools reading to the kids and then being asked for our autographs. The only difference and BIG difference was that these "kids" were men serving time for mistakes they had made out in what we call the real world.

I met an inmate from LA and we talked for about 20 minutes. Our conversation turned personal as he wished me a Happy Fathers Day. I soon learned that he had two daughters and he showed me their photos. We had a great conversation of how God is working in his life and how he knows God is in control.

I continued along the "yard" and soon met another man who has been serving 15 years and looking to be released in eight months. Can you imagine 15 years being told when to get up, when to eat and when to go to bed for the night. His concern was how he would manage life outside the prison gates. Our conversation then turned to our brochure and I was met head-on with my first encounter of a non-believer this summer. I knew it would come soon enough, I just never counted on it being behind a prison gate. We discussed what it means to be separated from God as a sinner, what it takes to become a Christian and how to accept Christ. Wow!! What a conversation that was. Have you ever been asked point blank, "tell me why so many people say that we are born sinners, yet we still have the chance to accept Christ." We talked for about 20 minutes and then he left. He came back shortly with a poem describing how people wear masks and he proceeded to tell me how the mask I had on at the time was professional. It was a great conversation and he promised me if I read his poem he would read our brochure again tonight. I know a seed was planted and I thank God that I had the opportunity to talk with him. I will never know if "BM" accepts Christ until one day I hopefully see him in heaven.

Several other conversations followed, some with believers and other conversations with non-believers. These conversations occurred all over the "yard" with our entire team. I was so excited, proud and moved to see everyone setting aside any fears within and being open and honest with these men. This is a day I will never forget, never.

The evening ended with a team and host family BBQ. We all met at a host family for an incredible spread of steak, sausage, multiple pasta salads, chips fruit and dessert. The food was great!!

The guys played basketball, took advantage of the trampoline, swimming pool and just shared good times with the host families in attendance. As the evening wore on it seems that some of the players decided to take Chris Beck to the pool, not by his free will I might add. A struggle ensued and the game was on. Chris was eventually overtaken by the dozen or so players and the tradition was underway. I watched as they took down other members of the staff and then realized my time was nearing. A quick sprint to the other side of the huge yard would not spare me as they guys took me down and carried me off to the pool. It was really fun to connect with these guys today. Summer league baseball allows for a connection unlike the norm for most players and coaches.

It was a great day of meeting new people, eating some great food and planting some seeds that could be harvested any day. If you are following along with daily prayers please take just a minute and pray for the men we met today. Pray for the harvesting of the seeds we planted and pray specifically for Shelley and Bobby.

Tomorrow is an off day as we will go to the host Church for the final time for worship and then prepare for the five hour flight to Anchorage on Monday. The first leg of our trip is nearing a close and it has been a great adventure so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I expected some different playing conditions and scenery in Alaska, and perhaps less so in California, but playing inside a prison was not on my radar! What a memory!
(Check out the prison.)

It was very encouraging to read the description of faith in action, and of how God enabled you and the team to do the unexpected. 'looking forward to reading about more opportunities as the summer continues. ... I'm also looking forward to 17 days from now. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Soledad prison. Thanks for sharing those stories. I'm trying to imagine what that must have felt like.

I can sense that God is doing something fresh in you and that is exciting. May He continue to use you to plant seeds.

Praying for you.....

Anonymous said...

All I can say is Awesome...God is Awesome!