Friday, June 27, 2008

Back in the win column........

It's almost midnight here in Fairbanks and I am sitting in the living room area of our apartment eating a chocolate covered donut and drinking a wild cherry pepsi. We just picked up a win and I am wide awake. I guess the donut and pepsi might have something to do with that.

Earlier today I was trying to figure out what to say to our team as we were reeling off a five game losing streak. We met and talked about taking the initiative. This is simply having the courage to make decisions and take action. Seems simple, but often times very difficult to do. I was able to relay it into getting the most out of our early work(practice time before BP). The guys did a good job and seem to buy into for that day. It's funny, I bet if we as Christians took the initiative more often we would see a difference in our life and the lives of others. I am going to "practice what I preach" and give it a whirl tomorrow.

Our guys played well tonight. We had been struggling for the last few games in a phases and finally put it together tonight. I have to admit, playing for AIA takes a'lot of dedication and inner strength and our guys play the role. Other summer league teams here in Alaska play a game, stay up late, sleep late and probably partake of other activities common to college students. Our guys report to a local Church each day at 1:30pm for a 1 1/2 hour discipleship time then off to the field for some early out work before batting practice. They easily put in 10 hour days by the time the van shuttle drops them off after the game and dinner. You have to be dedicated and love it.

We play our final game of the week tomorrow night(Friday) against the Goldpanners. A win will get us back in the middle of the pack and prepare us for a good weekend. We actually have our longest break coming up this weekend. We are off completely Saturday/Sunday and then get back to discipleship and practice on Monday before playing on Tuesday. It is an odd three days off, but we are all looking forward to it. Some of the guys have fishing trips planned. Our family will try and take advantage of the local tourist attractions and maybe even wet a hook as well. Kirk has been looking forward to the fishing for months.

Well, the sun is setting as it should be at 12:18am and I am getting tired. It will be off to bed and another day tomorrow.

2 comments:

kmslatton said...

You and Sullivan with the Wild Cherry Pepsi! glad you got to mark a "W" up.

Anonymous said...

While in Alaska, spoil yourselves by having some halibut. Once you’ve eaten it, you’ll only want that kind of fish in the future & sadly it can only be had by having it shipped directly from Alaska.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your blog & learning what other first time Alaska visitors thought of their experience. My husband & I visited Alaska in ’05, thoroughly enjoyed our trip & would go again if gas prices weren’t so high.

I call Pickens home although I have been away about 12 years. I’m friends with your parents, Aunt Sandra & Aunt Ann & I’m Butch Morris’ aunt.

May God continue to bless you & your family.

Jo Anne Marler