Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rain, cold, flat tire....OIA




For those that have been keeping up with our trip this summer by reading this blog you have come to know two things:

OIA means "only in Alaska" AND it has rained almost every day this summer.

Well today was no exception. It rained, still is as a matter of fact, and it is cold AND we had a flat tire this evening. No worries......today was still a great day.

We had our final discipleship series today and it was a debriefing of sorts. The guys had an opportunity to share what they have learned and how they have grown this year in their walk with Christ. It was very refreshing to hear college student-athletes relay their thoughts about how their walk with Christ has been strengthened this summer.

We play a DH tomorrow at 5pm, provided the 100% chance of rain is inaccurate. It has become comical now, the rain that is. This has been a summer for the books.

Kirkland and I tried to fish this afternoon, however, the river has come to the banks and some flooding has even started in the interior. Very odd for this time of year. I do feel sorry for the locals. They thrive on their 2-3 months of summer. Construction is taking a beating as well due to the weather. They are talking about how this summer will be set them back for years.

Well, off to finish the The Shack. If anyone else has read it let me know, I would be anxious to hear your opinion of the book.








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've recently heard of The Shack from someone, but I don't think you and I talked about it during my visit ... but maybe Tammy & I did. 'can't remember. The comparison to Pilgrim's Progress is fresh in my mind too, but I think that's related to something I read recently about a modern retelling in a new movie coming out: Pilgrim's Progress: Journey to Heaven.
(Gary, remember what I said about underlined and/or colored text -- it's a link to click.)

Man, 'sorry about the flat -- and you weren't even on the Dalton Highway!
This will be a birthday to remember! :-)

kmslatton said...

Happy late B-Day. I knew it was getting close but I've been in the ER for the past 2 days getting my backside beat. Just caught up on the blog today.
Glad to hear that things continue to go well. Tell everyone hello. I can't wait to see all of the photos. Again Happy late B-DAY!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mike. It's been great keeping up with your family adventure through the blog. It has also been a privilege to pray for you all as God has given you all an amazing adventure this summer.

I read The Shack on my vacation. Interesting reading. Thought provoking at times. Some theologians have been upset about some of his depictions of God and about how they interpret his representation of God. As a follower of Christ for a long time, I did not feel threatened by those images/presentations that did not "fit my image" of God and Jesus but I was inspired in some ways to know Jesus better than I know Him now -- so that's a good result. I have been hesitant to recommend it to "young" Christians because I wondered if they would be able to sift through the theology with any kind of critical mind. I admit that I cried when I read the part where he shared with his daughter that it wasn't her fault. Wow.

Enjoy your final days in Alaska. Hope your Dodgers put a W on the board when you go to the game. My Braves traded Texiera -- guess they've given up. They've tanked since the all-star break. No pitching.

See you soon.

Joe B.

Anonymous said...

Hello to Michael and family. We are looking forward to your return home and am sure all of you are also.

Tony and I have enjoyed the blogs and pictures, hope to hear the rest of the story when you get home. Happy late Birthday.

Anxious to see how much Kaylee, Kirkland (and the new one) have grown.

Love,

Jo Ann & Tony

Anonymous said...

Mike, I have really enjoyed reading the blog all summer! I hope you all have a wonderful last week in Alaska and am looking forward to hearing all about it! Kaylee, you look like you have grown so much! I can't wait to see you when school starts back!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great birthday! we love you guys. Can't wait to see you. Kaylee/Kirkland we miss you so much. It won't be long now.

Butterfly kisses
Nana